- Amazon Kindle Paperwhite – Problems with an unevenly lighted display. Reported at CNet and Techcrunch.
- IOS 6 and 6.0.1 – WiFi-connection problems, though honestly WiFi problems have been a free feature of my iPad2 and iPhone 4S since IOS 4.3.3. Thanks Tim.
- iPhone 5: Chipped on arrival. Reported at CNet.
- Microsoft Surface: Splitting thin keyboard cover. Reported at Wired.
- IOS 6 Maps App – Rubbish: I know because I have used it and I’m ashamed to say that I thought it would be much better than Google Maps. If you are not out in the boonies, try Waze which I reviewed back in July. Google Maps will return to IOS sometime early next year.
From a pure cost/benefit analysis point of view, should the manufacturers tackle this catalogue of failure?
- If you are Apple? Hell no! Why should they waste the cash if people continue to deify them? Firing Scott Forstall for not apologising rather than downright incompetence? Please!
- Microsoft, with less fanboidom, might have to try harder.
- Amazon? Hell if I know.
Enough marketing, more engineering!